Andi is Bidding Farewell to Vainglory

Though killing off anyone who isn’t overexcited is a stretch and not at all accurate…

It does seen that they are very very afraid of criticism and want to shut down everyone who openly criticizes them.

It may not be the case but it looks like that to the public eye.

Their chief of communications isn’t doing all that great…

The developers are completely out of contact with their community it simply baffles me that this game still exists…

2 Likes

Well, plenty of games exist that have far less contact with their communities, yes? :wink: Sometimes I think a lot of us (myself included) are spoiled by the amount of dev interaction that we do get. I have to remind myself sometimes that it’s extremely rare for community members to know as much about SEMC as we do, by and large, and it’s an exception, not the norm.

I think the thing about criticism is that it’s really really hard to do it right. As much as SEMC has trouble communicating their intent, remember that their players are humans too, so it stands to reason that their players are just as bad at communicating their criticism. And when criticism is done wrong, it’s exhausting to read. And exhausting in a way that’s beyond “It’s your job, suck it up and read it”… I mean exhausting in a way that shuts your brain off and makes it impossible to absorb the valid criticism within it. That’s part of why I got tapped to be an ambassador. I’ve spent years (decades) reading and writing academic papers, and it’s given me a knack for reading dense writing, distilling main ideas to comprehensible summaries, and (hopefully) responding in ways that address the actual concerns.

Personally, my goal on the forums and community at large has always been to foster criticism, but to force people to make fair criticism. Hyperbole and misrepresentation hurts arguments, and leads to roadblocks that get in the way of good change.

10 Likes

This kind of heavy-handed “censorship” (I struggle to call it that because it’s more implicit than explicit) should be beneath them. That it’s not shows desperation to keep a bad product competitive and a sign of the dark times we’ve known to be upon us.

Their loss.

3 Likes

Also, I’m a JavaScript noob, but I’m not half bad with Python and I need something tangible to help me get better with JavaScript, so I’d like to submit some pull requests if you’d allow me to.

This game isn’t truely VG anymore. If SEMC wants to move the vision into an agressive, money-making, anti-consumer game, then fuck them.

You made the right descision. If they dont want overwhelming criticism, they should do a better job.

Good luck in all your future encounters Hazel.

5 Likes

I dont think thats how they (Devs) wanted VG to end up.

For years, the game has always been easy-to-obtain content with little profit.

And I think its come back to bite them in the butt.

Just look at it, Its obvious that they really NEED money (By the laid off employees, more monatization, paying freelancer to make skin concepts) and that if they dont improve their profits from VG, then VG will really die.

I understand that they are adding and changing VG to make it more profitable, but its having a backlash from both sides.

Semc tried to make the pass better - Community hates it

Semc tried to add more customization - Community thinks its half assed.

Its a lose-lose from both sides and I think both sides need to respond better to eachother.

Idk but I tried not to let my salt leak into this message :mask:

Edit: Borders and more recalls would have a higher profit than hats, but ig its was easier for semc to create something from scratch quickly and able to send out to players

1 Like

Thing is: They really didn’t. Their intention, in both cases, was to increase revenue. And they deliberately miscommunicated that to the point of dishonesty.
If you add shitty hats that are bound to trigger a community backlash and pretend it was done to make the game more diverse, or state you multiplied the value of something while all you added is useless fluff, then you have officially arrived in the era of “alternate facts”.

And if your next move is to try and silence people because they possess the audacity of speaking the truth, then you may as well don an orange wig and get over with it.

8 Likes

Andi’s departure shows semc’s hypocrisy and dishonesty, its like they can’t stand people calling them out so they have to silence them. If semc truely believes that the criticism is unwarranted they would try to prove us wrong like any honest person would.

3 Likes

What again did SEMC do to be dishonest again? :v

Look, if I am trying my hardest to sell you 1kg of 100% organic produce, free of pesticides and high in fibre - and what you end up with is a steaming pile of shit - then you will probably feel mislead.

Two more concrete and recent examples in the post you quoted from.

3 Likes

Best quote of this thread.

Anyways I couldnt care less anymore for the customizations for VG anymore. I only play because its the most balanced game from Aov or ML. Otherwise you wont see me caught dead wasting money on it

4 Likes

It’s kinda sad that it has come to that… because it really didn’t have to, in my opinion. 'just so many wrong turns in the marketing department, and shutting down feedback rather than listening to customers.

7 Likes

the issue here is simple:
their guidlines are incredible vague and can be interpreted to allow for a wide range of actions.
there also is nothing you can do against this, if you are getting treated differently from the rest.

these rules need to be crystal clear and i still cant understand why they would want to stop a bot thats just giving you some stats. thats just convenient and i suspect that they simply want to close other stat sites and only keep the one now linked ingame.

that the creator of the bot is not talking about the game like a moderator in a kids show shouldnt really matter in this case.

all that semc is going to accomplish with this is a loss of small content creators, no new content creators, more salt, toxicity and critisism from their playerbase (because thats the reaction when you try to tell kids to NOT be toxic in a toxic way)

tldr: semc needs to make an actual ruleset that doesnt leave ANY room for misinterpretation, so tell the players exactly what you see as the line in terms of general toxic statements (like racism and other stuff they dont want you to post, even though it may not be illegal to do so), tell them exactly how you want to see them voice their opinions, etc…
and then turn this into an actual contract between semc and the creator, so both sides now HAVE to stick to the rules and all the content creator gets some safety in knowing that semc cant just drop him or the program on a whim (unless the contract allows this. in this case the contract wouldnt be a good thing though).

4 Likes

I heard wouldhands talk about the change, @DragonClasher are you still in the VCP

Sorting things out for VCP right now

1 Like