Analysis: How many matches are surrendered?

I think the most alarming thing is 14% AFK from ranked matches.

AFK and Surrender are going to go up with match length and casual/rank. I think if 5v5 rank is pushing 15% AFK/Surrender that’s a bad sign.

1/3 AFK in casual is pretty horrendous as well. Geez, these numbers are bad.

1 Like

Considering the fact that many of these numbers are padded by stats from 4-5 man parties, where it is incredibly rare to see an AFK, the rate for SoloQers is closer to 50%.
Nasty.

Disagree. Solo queue rank is probably in the 15% range. Plus AFK isn’t alway, “this sucks I’m out”. Sometimes it’s battery or life issue that parties have to deal with too.

5v5 usually takes 3-4 attempts to get a match started and the 12min surrender requests come pretty quickly.

VG definitely needs some type of anti-surrender incentive. There isn’t enough “carrots” in the game right now and the “sticks” are just twigs.

3 Likes

Right now 5v5 has a horrendous skill distribution. I think it’ll get a little better once rank comes out. Also, a lot of people need to learn how to properly lane.

The problem is that you don’t need full consent to surrender…

The practical rlf issues is a good reminder. I am also getting sense that people aren’t interested in playing unless they are clearly winning. If not winning…time to skip out and start a new match. Maybe too much speculation on my part, but I read enough on Twitter and the reddit sub, leads me to believe it happens for sure. Glad SEMC is building up Blitz a bit… Give incentive to those not interested in “long” game. Lol

I think the huge skill disparity between teams is having an influence.

Rarely is the sum of the players’ ELO fairly distributed between the two teams.

I’d be keen to know the ELO difference between teams on these surrenders and if there is a correlation between huge ELO disparity and surrender rate

1 Like

It’s not at all. I was just in a game against 3 VG gold players and my team had 3 unranked and one worthy foe. I also locked in a captain. It was a blood bath.

I too have won on the statistical losing side. I’m interested in the bigger picture as opposed to isolated examples

Cheers

Almost 80% of my matches have afk seems legit

I really want to see this one week after 3.0 release. So far my matches have ALL ended in 12min surrenders because of AFK or players being completely lost. Casual MM needs a retooling.

2 Likes

Casual matchmaking remains awful, I’m distressed to say. My team just now had one T10 bronze, 4 T4s, and a T3 against 2 POA, 1 T5, and 3 T4s.

1 Like

It’s horrible right now. It’s not even the skill tier differences that hurt. The 2.12 player base was mostly dedicated players so matches were at least viable. Tier differences really were not that big of a deal outside of one VG against SA and below. Every game so far has been AFK, players who just walk away from their lanes, or multiple junglers with empty lanes. Instalock jungle every match. It’s unplayable because the broader community has no clue. I never thought I would say this but, I NEED RANK!

my first 5vs5 win was from surrender. I think when people predict that they will lose. they wont gonna spend minutes on the game, since 5vs5 took long enough, longer than 3vs3

1 Like

I just went 18/2/2 but our Celeste decided she would AFK. Turns out it was his/her first game.

So fun times ahead no doubt :frowning:

Neither in 3v3 lmao. People dont even know something called ambient gold exists.

1 Like

Yesssssssssssssss we need rank. And i hope the matchmaker isnt as screwed up as 3v3.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

1. People’s 3v3 rank is a rough indication of their likely ability in 5v5 - its not definitive.

2. To match that the underlying MMR rating that people have been given is based on their highest MMR (in ranked or casual play) however these have all been equalised somewhat.

3. Matchmakers work based on data and in particular iterative data - the starting data for this matchmaker is probably better than nothing but it is a guess there will be vg tier 3v3 players who can’t it in 5v5 and end up being in SA, and vice versa there will be SA tier players in 3v3 who are capable of being vg tier players in 5v5.

So basically I am saying be patient. Every match you or anyone else plays of 5v5 the better and better the matchmaker will become because the more accurate its MMR data will become.

1 Like

The 4 votes to surrender in 5v5 really makes people surrender a lot…

2 Likes