A discussion on tap touch

SurpriseBirthdaySE

(https://new.reddit.com/r/vainglorygame/comments/9f7ovt/from_ios_to_android_a_sad_tale/e5ukumm/)

When I switch between iOS and Android, one that that always screws me up is that Android interprets all of your taps to be slightly lower than what iOS would.

I think its because Android takes the center of the contact surface (think a circular blob where your finger tip touches glass) between your finger and the screen, where as iOS prefers to trigger the tap point somewhere near the top of the screen. This causes me to miss taps A LOT on Android, but people who use Android full-time never seem to notice this difference because they’re used to it.

I am astonished at how much knowledge he has of the inner workings of tap touch and it triggered my imagination:

Hardware differences aside, this SINGLE solitary achievement by apple that has set them apart from android. Think back to flip phones. think back to the revolutionary first iphone.

Swipe gestures. pinch zoom. it’s all about how that screen interacts with that finger.

I wonder if Vainglory will continue to be a pioneer in Tap touch gaming? I wonder how much the underlying tap response and use from everyday device use effects the way we play tap touch games?

I’m betting this tap touch field has some kind of professional engineering field all on it’s own and the possibilities are only just being explored.

So many configurations. So many different hands. Each with a different opinion. My mind is officially BLOWN.

Who else finds this subject fascinating? i know @Smash has been secretly working on the ergonomics of ideal hand placement from his post from way back… Can’t wait to read it.

Throw into the mix the “circular blob inbetween the finger and the screen” and you’ve only just scratched the surface on this subject.

Can you imagine the future? tap touching 4D holograms floating in the air? Just throwing that idea about… just to BLOW your mind even further.

1 Like

By the time they make holograms that float freely in space in front of me that I can interact with, I’ll be dead. Good riddance.

Great post though.

1 Like

I never knew this, I play on Android and sometimes I often do tap things and it doesn’t work maybe this is related to that.

1 Like

After the industrial revolution tech has evolved RAPIDLY. The first IPhone only came out a little over a decade ago (When I was 8) and 11 years later we’re already fiddling with VR and AR. I think it may be possible in our lifetime.

Actually, we’ve recently hit sort of a technological stagnation. Moore’s Law is practically dead, as we can no longer double processing speeds every year and half, like we have since the 70s. Supercomputers aren’t getting better at the rate they once were. People look at our technology now and envision exponential growth, however we’ve been exponentially slowing down the past couple years. This is especially true in mobile tech.

Once someone figures out a better system than “make it smaller and fit more”, we’ll come out of the plateau. Who knows how long that will be though

Well we are also in an age where we are at our most innovative, so I am sure we can get out of that hole very quickly

1 Like