3.8 changes - Ask me anything

Not only veterans, new players doesn’t stick as 5vs5 is less fun compared to other games + bad MM leading to one sided games + super duper long que times to absurd levels (on that point I would seriously consider shuting down game modes to improve the player pool for better matches and faster que time. It’s painful to do, but otherwise a MOBILE game has no chance.), long matches, bad out of match experience, lags and so on. 3vs3 they won’t even try and if they do it’s no fun either now.

2 Likes

And what modes would you shut down? Keep in mind you are risking its player base.

That’s the problem. :slight_smile:
My honest opinion is that it’s too late and they f it up to the point of no return.

The truly infuriating part is that it’s not even that long ago. A year and a half ago they knew how to successfully run one of the best MOBAs in the app store. Now they can’t even update it without losing large portions of their playerbase, due to yet another issue

6 Likes

Not relevant to the current issue but I would remove bot modes from the game completely. May add some players to the queue, while lowering the gigantic amount of space VG takes.

What are the downsides ? The playerbase doesn’t queue up ? They weren’t. They’ll stop paying ? I’d pay SEMC money on their stupid loot boxes betting they didn’t anyway

I don’t think it’s worth it, the amount of players that you would gain in other modes wouldn’t change at all, so the loses would be bigger than the benefits.

Would there be a loss is the question.

How do you measure success in a game ? Downloads ? You lose possible downloads when someone sees the giant multi gig app that is VG. Money ? Someone playing nothing but bot matches was not paying for ICE or skins to not be able to show it off.

The argument here is opposite to what you said. They have practically nothing to gain by keeping it and a possiblity of gaining a little by getting rid of it

Lots of people play bot matches to practice a hero and try skins. I don’t think they would gain anything doing that.

VG is bound to fail, its already showing and no matter how much SEMC tries to hide it lol.

On the last note, look at the leaderboards, there are barely any veterans or pros left lol.

Im honestly thinking to spend money on LoL and other games and Vg isnt on the list :tipping_hand_man:

Will I be able to blindly pick Kensei with SM BP BS in bot lane?

What is the dirtiest Inari build you have?

Wheeeeeeeeeeere is gold toad?

2 Likes

Plot twist: Ghostwing and Blackclaw are being replaced by giant gold toads in the next update

4 Likes

Just a few questions then…

I wasn’t involved in talent testing this patch so I’m afraid I don’t know in regards to Inara.

My favourite is the Flicker skin, the Glaive skin is pretty neat though - especially the recall.

I don’t think anyone sensible in the PBE would claim that we have a settled meta rotation particularly in regards to who takes what. However the jungler has been generally getting the vast majority - with a nearby laner sometimes dashing over for ambient before going back to the lane.

The buffs tend to not be nearly so heavily contested until later in the game - ocassionally invades happen for them, but honestly you sacrifice so much lane farm its not really worth.

I think (though maybe wrong) that lane minions now have only health and zero base armour/shield. I felt like they were about the same to kill early game and easier in late game.

Impactful heroes:
Inara, Varya, Idris, ozo, Anka

Weaker heroes:
WP dependent, Vox I think is worst hit by the changes but also warriors may struggle.

Captains again don’t have a settled build - there has been a trend away from the active items since they were all nerfed but its mainly a matter of counterbuilding dependent on the enemy comp etc.

Yes, but good luck stacking the BP in the first place.

They definitely have an impact and mages do need to be more judicious with their ability usage. But they are still very viable.

I think in general the greatest beneficiaries of these changes are AA based CP heroes - because their damage increased but they are not as energy dependent.

1 Like

Because auto attacks are more frequent than any other thing so this lessens their strength. Its also part of moving towards clearer paths for WP being more about consistent damage and CP being about burst - at the moment prior to 3.8 WP heroes often have the highest DPS and the highest burst which is a bit nuts.

I think this patch is rough for roam mains like myself for these reasons:

1. Roam ability nerfs
  2. Roam item nerfs
  3. Overall CDR nerfs
  4. Major meta change which means as a role that “roams” you need to figure out new pathing etc.

So its definitely harder to be a Captain now than it was before. The trade off however is that Laning is the most fun now that I have ever had in Lane in 5v5 VG - so the hope is they can maintain that and going forward either continue tweaking so that the roam role feels better, or that we as a community will evolve the role.

4 Likes

WP Vox was already… not very good. Not surprised, it seems that after all the attempts he will finally fall off the meta.
Of course Inara feels impactful, she is new, so she will be op.

There is definite actual change since they haven’t been shifted evenly.

The main thing that keeps you in lane is the increased speed of waves spawning + the gold value of the minion waves & the decreased gold trickle - you miss too much by rotating.

Top has naturally improved because the jungler is less likely to just hang bot, they have a whole jungle to farm now… also the WP buff is much less impactful (and the bot laner can’t really rotate for it anyhow) so bot doesn’t really have a natural advantage over top. Honestly its now much more even and comes down to heroes, wave management and player ability rather than a natural dominance.

Joule change is a slight buff early and a slight nerf late and yes it stacks.

1 Like

Sometimes they do - whether they should is another question.

Missing a wave is pretty impactful in terms of gold, so I wouldn’t rotate if it was a choice between the two.

And yes this blows open the ADC must be bot rule, and potentially also opens up counter drafting in a much more impactful fashion.

Nope definitely not - BP is hurt by these changes.

I actually never got to play her, so at this stage its pure theory.

Gold toad is clearly in hiding…